Student health impacts achievement and success. As the health services expert, the school nurse serves as the health professional for the school community and provides the following services:
- Illness, injury assessments and interventions, identification, assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of student health concerns.
- Health assessments/participation in Individualized Education Plan (IEP) development.
- Training of staff for health procedures such as, gastrostomy feedings, catheterizations, colostomy care, etc.
- Screening for health factors impacting student education.
- Activities and education to promote health and prevent teen pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, tobacco use and alcohol and substance abuse.
- Chronic disease management and education.
- Individualized Health Care Plans and services for students with disabilities and/or health conditions that interfere with learning
- Medication administration
- Assessment and interventions for students with mental health needs
- Guidelines for school district health policies, goals and objectives
- School/community/health care provider liaison
Not sure if you should send your children to school? Here are some tips that can help.