The Roanoke County School Board
The Roanoke County School Board usually meets on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month at the Roanoke County Public Schools Central Office located at 5937 Cove Road in Roanoke, VA. (unless otherwise stated - see meeting dates and times on the calendar below). Work sessions are usually held on the 1st Thursday of the month starting at 3:30 p.m. and regular meetings are usually held on the 3rd Thursday of the month starting at 6:00 p.m.
In-person meeting attendance may be limited and citizens may have to use overflow rooms.
Public comments about pending agenda items or other topics may be submitted prior to the meeting by email (email@example.com) or by phone (540-562-3900 ext. 10112). These are not, however, read aloud at the meeting. When submitting comments, please include your name and current address.
Citizens of Roanoke County or parents, students, or employees of Roanoke County Public Schools who wish to address the School Board in person must follow the procedures listed below.
Meeting agendas, minutes and school board policies can be found on our BoardDocs site - click here to go to BoardDocs.
Requests to Speak at a School Board Meeting
Speakers wishing to address the School Board in person at a regular meeting must make a request using the online form or by calling the Clerk of the Board at 540-562-3900 x10112 during office hours. Requests must be received no later than 8:00 AM on the day of the School Board meeting, in order to allow time for verification that the speaker is eligible as a current parent, student, employee, or citizen of Roanoke County.
Requirements for Speakers
1. Be a current parent, student, or employee of Roanoke County Public Schools or a citizen of Roanoke County.
2. Submit a request to speak no later than 8:00 AM on the day of the meeting.
3. Check in with the Clerk of the Board no later than 30 min prior to the start of the meeting and show verification of current address on a government-issued photo identification, such as a driver's license.
4. Limit comments to three minutes.
5. Direct remarks to the board chair only.
6. Be respectful and civil in their comments, observing due respect of the dignity and privacy of others who may be affected by public comments.
1. Complaints about specific school personnel should be addressed, outside of the meeting, to the appropriate school administration.
2. Speakers should be aware that they may be held legally responsible if they make statements that violate the legal rights of others, including threatening or defamatory statements.
3. Comments likely to disrupt the orderly conduct of the business of the School Board or prompt a breach of the peace are prohibited.
School Board Policies and Regulations
Roanoke County School Board Policies and Regulations are located on the school division’s BoardDocs site. Printed copies of school division policies and regulations are available to citizens who do not have online access.
Construction could begin in summer 2024 with completion by summer/fall 2026
New CTE center and two elementary school renovation projects could begin as early as late 2024
School board encourages participation in Global Day of Unplugging, modifies cellphone policies for students
Board clarifies rules for student cellphone use during the school day
Board announces slate of meetings for 2023