The Commonwealth of Virginia has passed a law requiring additional vaccines for students entering 7th grade and 12th grade. These include Tdap, Meningococcal and HPV for students entering 7th grade and the meningococcal vaccine for students entering 12th grade.
After reviewing educational materials approved by the Board of Health, the parent or guardian, at the parent's or guardian's sole discretion, may elect for the child not to receive the HPV vaccine.
Please schedule an appointment for your child to have these vaccines before school starts next year and provide a copy to your child's school.
>> Letter to parents of rising 7th graders (in multiple languages)
>> Letter to parent of rising seniors (in multiple languages)
Please see this link or call your school nurse for more information about these requirements: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/.
Student health impacts achievement and success. As the health services expert, the school nurse serves as the health professional for the school community and provides the following services:
- Illness, injury assessments and interventions, identification, assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of student health concerns.
- Health assessments/participation in Individualized Education Plan (IEP) development.
- Training of staff for health procedures such as, gastrostomy feedings, catheterizations, colostomy care, etc.
- Screening for health factors impacting student education.
- Activities and education to promote health and prevent teen pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, tobacco use and alcohol and substance abuse.
- Chronic disease management and education.
- Individualized Health Care Plans and services for students with disabilities and/or health conditions that interfere with learning
- Medication administration
- Assessment and interventions for students with mental health needs
- Guidelines for school district health policies, goals and objectives
- School/community/health care provider liaison
How to tell if your child is too sick to send to school
Not sure if you should send your children to school? Here are some tips that can help.
TDAP booster requirement
All rising 7th graders must meet TDAP immunizations requirements