6533 Peters Creek Road NW
Roanoke, VA 24019
HISTORY OF BURLINGTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Burlington Elementary School is located on a ten-acre site on Peters Creek Road in the northern section of Roanoke County. The tract was purchased for $4,000 and funds for the building were secured partially from a WPA grant from the Federal Government in 1935. The building was constructed in 1939 and valued at $100,000. It was named for a town that had been laid out but did not materialize.
Burlington Elementary School replaced Hollins Grammar School, which was located near the intersection of Route 117 and Route 11. The rapid growth of this area necessitated the building of Burlington Elementary School and the eventual enlargement of existing facilities. The original building consisted of eight classrooms, four bathrooms, and an auditorium. In 1953, the first addition was completed. In 1960, three basement rooms were renovated and made into classrooms. In 1966, the second addition consisting of four classrooms, four bathrooms, five storage rooms and a multipurpose room was added. The third addition, in 1970, was a cafeteria and storage room. In 1999, a $2.1 million remodeling project resulted in the addition of six new classrooms, new gym, remodeled kitchen area, new library and redesigned office and entrance to our school. The front office was remodeled again in 2007. In 2012, a new addition housing eight classrooms was built on the east side of the main building.